1. Brew Apple Cider: This year I discovered that I possess a knack for holiday bartending. A couple of weeks ago Felix and I had a hankering for some Spiced Apple Cider, particularly of the alcoholic variety, so I derp-ed around in our alcohol cabinet concocted my new favorite treat: Kraken Spiced Apple Cider. Since brewing our first batch we’ve now served this delicious cup of cheer on 6 different occasions (I’m literally brewing a pot RIGHT NOW at my office) to the joy of our friends.
2. Make Ornaments: Felix and I started this tradition a few years ago and it is hands down the #1 thing I look forward to at Christmas time (ok maybe #2 next to presents). Throughout the year we browse local swap meets for old McDonalds toys or action figures and save them for December. Felix drills tiny screw eyes into the top of each figurine and then we spend a few nights decorating them with glitter or nail polish. The result is our one of a kind Christmas tree and some extremely original (and cheap) ornaments.
3. Christmas Light Drive: This is one I didn’t get to partake in (yet) this year, but I always enjoy loading up in the car and driving around popular decorated neighborhoods to enjoy their Christmas light displays. And you had better be listening to Christmas music while you drive around. One of my favorite local stops is driving through the Trinity Broadcasting Network’s headquarters in Costa Mesa.
4. Cookie Baking: Another one that I didn’t get to do this year due to our stove being broken. Snickerdoodle, Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, Gingerbread. All the cookies to share with friends and Santa. Calories don’t count from Dec 24-31st.
5. Harry Potter Re-Read: I’m starting mine today on the plane flight to Northern California! It’s been a while since I’ve had the time to give the whole series a read through, and there is something about Christmas time that makes me nostalgic for the Wizarding World. If you have a chance to relax by a fireplace with a book, I recommend this series off and visiting your favorite boy wizard again (or for the first time)!