1. Save Money. Waaaay back in 2015 I decided that I wanted to go to Europe for my 30th birthday. Unfortunately my 30th birthday came to pass in September of 2016 and I have yet to travel to Europe. A big part of this is cosplay and shopping, so I’ve made a couple of changes heading into 2017 to help meet my goal of saving money, generally and for Europe. With the help of Mint.com and Qapital I’ve built a budget, cut a lot of unnecessary spending, and set up auto savings rules like rounding up to the nearest dollar on every purchase to deposit in my Europe Trip account. I also plan on using only existing materials that I have horded away in my garage for any new costumes this year.
2. Get Back In Shape. My top 2016 goal was to get in shape and I did it, winning one of the Blizzcon Workout Group’s transformation challenges mid year, and losing 15lbs of fat and gaining a significant amount of muscle. But with the stress and time constraint of building Sylvanas for Blizzcon and the holiday season, I have been slacking on my healthy eating and fitness. Over the holiday break I got myself back into my weight lifting routine, started taking yoga classes, and meal prepping (which also helps with saving money). Excited to share my progress over the coming months!
3. Be More Organized. I joke with my boyfriend that I’m a clean freak, but only at work. When I walk through my bedroom door all bets are off, and my underwear usually end up on the bedroom floor feet away from the clothes basket (his biggest pet peeve). Together we spent New Years Day organizing and clearing our apartment of unnecessary clutter so that we could enter into the new year with a blank slate. Although organization doesn’t just mean cleaning to me, I’ve been diligently tracking my budget, workout, and tasks in my Passion Planner and Bullet Journal.
4. Read More. I love reading, but I rarely make enough time for it in my schedule. Over holiday break I managed to fly through both of the late Carrie Fisher’s books (Wishful Drinking, The Princess Diarist) in one day, and realized how relaxing, fun, and important reading is for me. I asked my Facebook friends to give me their recommendations for historical fiction, fantasy, and thriller novels and compiled their suggestions into my Goodreads queue. I’m challenging myself to read 12 books this year and I’m starting off with The Handmaiden’s Tale.
5. Be More Present. My worst habit is being on my phone and checking social media. It’s the first thing I do when I wake up and what I fill any blank space of my day with. Social media is something I love, but I want to break my addiction to it this year and be less reliant on it. I plan on keeping whatever book I’m reading with me at all times so that if I find myself in possession of some free time, I can pick up a book instead of looking at the same Facebook posts for the 5th time in the day.